Friday, October 23, 2009

In all that dark


No Country For Old Men by the Coen Brothers - Final Scene

Loretta
...How'd you sleep?


Bell
I don't know. Had dreams.


Loretta
Well you got time for 'em now. Any-
thing interesting?


Bell
Well they always is to the party
concerned.


Loretta
Ed Tom, I'll be polite.


Bell
Okay. Two of 'em. Both had my father.
It's peculiar. I'm older now'n he
ever was by twenty years. So in a sen-
se he's the younger man. Anyway, first
one I don't remember so well but it
was about money and I think I lost it.

The second one, it was like we was
both back in older times and I was on
horseback goin through the mountains
of a night.

...Goin through this pass in the moun-
tains. It was cold and there was snow
on the ground and he rode past me
and kept on goin. Never said nothin
goin by. He just rode on past and he
had his blanket wrapped around him and
his head down...

...and when he rode past I seen he
was carryin fire in a horn the way
people used to do and I could see the
horn from the light inside of it.
About the color of the moon. And in
the dream I knew that he was goin on
ahead and that he was fixin to make a
fire somewhere out there in allthat
dark and all that cold, and I knew
that whenever I got there he would be
there.

...Then I woke up.

No comments: