Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Funny how easy it is to write about something you hate.

The forceful fall onto the asphalt snapped through the entirety of my body, ricocheting from one nerve to the next, finally finding its end at the bottom of my spine. I began to roll forward as my body's immediate response to the poor balance, but before I was entirely right and upwards I felt the aftershocks of the pain. I let out a yelp, cringed, and fell onto my side, face downwards onto the pavement. I felt the tears coming but I did not realize how quick and abound their presence was until I saw the little splatters and puddles forming from beneath my head. My face scrunched in an ineffective attempt to block the tears from flowing, but the shock of the futility of it all, the heat of my breath reflecting from the ground right back into my face, and the discomfort from the pain and earth I felt against me was too much for my facial muscles to withstand. I cried, and didn't care to hide it.

The cause of my fall approached me. What's wrong with ya? shouted the bully who was my senior by two years, which was a lifetime of a difference for an eleven year old. Ya gonna go cryin' to ya mommy? Is that what lil' baby's gonna do? Go ahead, cry, cry all you want. See what good it does ya.

The savage, self-confidence crushing brute got closer. He leaned down over me, putting his face inches away from my ear, whispering, What kind of person are ya?

The bully cocked his arm back and clenched his fist as I prepared for the second assault. Suddenly, two hands stretched out in front of my face and acted as a guardian. I peered through the gaps of my fingers to see who it was. A short, chubby looking teenager, maybe thirteen or fourteen years of age, stood between me and my enemy.

The bully, looking a little shocked, pushed away the kids arms and again I covered myself in preparation for an attack. The boy placed his hands up to protect me once again and said, Leave the kid alone. The startled bully stared the kid in the eyes, informing him that this was none of his business, but the boy proceeded: I still cry sometimes... don't you?

It was the noblest act of courage I have ever seen.
By Calvin

No comments: