Wednesday, February 13, 2008

We fell asleep on the moving hills - they colored our closed eyelids, but even the new day couldn't keep you off my mind.

After
several hours of pondering and
countless rough drafts --
after
lines of crossed out words
mounds of pen-worn paper
(hording my aptly named
not-quite-good-enough-for-you-poems
trash bin)
I sit restlessly anxious and awake
pondering thoughts of love and
cute word rhymes --
lines in sought of your remembrance
sweet metaphors
and distinctly unique romanticism --
to secretly poor my affection
gratitude
appreciation
and love
inside a single sealed desire-you-most
dream-of-you-daily
think-of-you-only letter
for your eyes only
your enjoyment only
your heart
only.

I sit at my desk thinking
desiring
a better way to word what I'm feeling
a way to phrase the viral thoughts which
overlap and ostracize all others.

The vocabulary at my disposal
doesn't quite fit the lines well --
another torn draft to the pile
and the not-quite-worthy-of-your-time trash raises
incrementing slowly as the hours
pass.

Visions of you and
your smile
(daringly stretching from one cute tip of your cheek
to the other)
entitle you
the very right to have
my concentration and effort poured
tenderly and dearly
with no complaint;
for I have found the conclusion to my thoughts:
this letter which I write you
this poem which endures the countless cross-outs
rip-ups
and throw-aways
will always stand one notch below
what you deserve
(for every minute of my time
I use my pen on this piece of work,
is one more minute I waste
one more minute which would
be better spent on the goal I set to accomplish
when I first laid my eyes upon yours).

So let this poem be
simply what it need best say:
I love you and Happy Valentines Day!
Happy Valentines Day by Calvin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you.