Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I feel as if my life is a documentation on thermal paper - it will eventually fade.

I may not have the best knowledge on the problem at hand, but I certainly have a pair of ears, he pointed out to her.

She took in a deep breath and let out a sigh. I am so scared of anyone finding out how lonely I am. There was a pause - she hesitated. I have shut everyone out completely.

He stared directly at the green gems hidden behind her glasses. It was then, sitting around the fire in the chilled forest, his eyes attached to hers, that she realized she had spent her whole life searching for what she really wanted when all this time it was right there in front of her. She had never felt more alive than in these moments.

Their eyes connected for a long period of time before it was broken with his smirk. He looked away in embarrassment while she continued to stare in question. They both understood now that not everyone had been shut out.

She smiled. Then it faded.

I'm not much for looking forward. I mean, I don't have much. There's you - his gaze had shifted to the fire, but he redirected back towards those gems on the mention of him - and I always have my family. But do I really have them? she asked with desperation, Are they really there? At the end of those two questions her eyes dropped to the ground as if depression had pulled them down.

He leaned over towards her and put his arm around her shoulder to comfort her. Her gaze continued to stare at the ground. They huddled for warmth beside the embers of a dying fire. Spring's not here yet, he whispered through his shivering lips.

I never thought this day would come. I mean, come on. Does anyone plan this far ahead? Where do I go from here? What do I do now? I know no one - I have friends, I have people I can talk to on a daily basis, people I can call, but who do I really know? I know only what they show me - and I show them only what I know about myself. If I can't even understand myself, how can I understand anyone else? I do nothing - I move from activity to activity from bed to bed from day to day. This is my life. You are told stories, you know? Books, movies, television shows. All about this part of my life. How exciting it is! The adventures, the people you meet, the wild and crazy things you get yourself into. But... this point in my life which I've been waiting for for so long, been told so much about and had so much anticipation toward? Anti-climatic.

The last words of her speech trailed on throughout the trees around them. Then silence approached and enveloped them - not a whisper was spoken from the trees to the two of them. They were complete in just sitting and thinking. No pushing forward. Just sitting, being.

He rested the side of his head on her shoulders while rearranging her wind-distorted hair. Something about the crisp quiet night air refreshes, he whispered towards her face. She looked up at him and again they stared into each other's eyes.

This is what I'm supposed to be doing, right?
By Calvin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. The meaning of it strikes you in the face. It is tactile, wonderful, beautiful and frustrating all at once. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.