Monday, December 17, 2007

It has been years since that night, but I'll never forget what she did for me.

We quietly laid there for hours.

I leaned over and gently rested one arm on top of her and stared directly into her eyes. Avoiding eye contact, she grasped my hand. I broke the silence with care and affection:

Lying on the roof like this, watching the sunset reflect in your green eyes... I can't help but feel this is what heaven looks like.

I paused. She still stared into the horizon's abyss. I took a deep breath and tried to enjoy every bit of it. I attempted once more:

After thousands of nights alone, hundreds of hours wondering, two years of searching, and an endless length of questions without answers, I've finally found what I've always been looking for... in your eyes.

Another pause.

They have a profound effect on me.

Hush now, she told me softly, squeezing my hand tighter. The show's about to begin.

I continued to ignore the display in the skies as I focused on what was much more beautiful. She continued to look away from me. I waited and waited, hoping that she would look up at me, until I couldn't wait any longer. My heart skipped a beat and I rolled over onto my back and began to look at my thoughts, staring right through the sun's performance.

A tear crept out of my eye.

Don't feel alone, she said to me, still looking away, clutching my hand tightly. You're not the only one who's dying inside, you know.

We quietly laid there for hours.
By Calvin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are a terrific writer, calvin. this story is so sad... it really moves me. i understand where you are coming from. you and i seem to get ourselves into the same situations.